Sunday, July 4, 2010

With great power comes great responsibility!

There are many apparent truths that hits us hard when we hear it spoken by our favorite reel life characters. The dark knight had innumerable such quotes uttered by the Batman and more by the antagonist Joker! But another quote that had affected me a lot was the one by uncle Ben to Peter Paker in the Spider man movie/comics.( I credit the title to Stan lee). When I heard it first, I sought to disagree with the statement. This was because i had a strong feeling that if I were true to myself and did no harm to others, I would have trouble. I used to undermine the importance of a regulatory system. But when I entered the real world no more protected by the safety hood of my parents, gosh I learnt the bitter learn. With great power comes not only great responsibility but also an attitude.

What happens when individuals have great power who mis-use that power? Corruption, disregard for human rights, criminal acts of war, genocide, destruction of ethnic cultures and races of humans, oppression, enslavement, disregard for the law, acts of injustice, cruelty, greed.

If these things are not enough to demand that those who are in power be held accountable, what then will it take for you to understand? Perhaps, if the secret police showed up on YOUR doorstep and dragged YOU away to a concentration camp where you were tortured, beaten, enslaved, starved and worked to death, maybe you would understand then why those with great power must use it responsibly.

The irresponsible use of power, is the single greatest source of human suffering in the world, the greatest source of CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY itself. Power must always be checked against itself with a counterbalance. For every action, there must be an equal and opposite reaction. That is why the Govt of India has multiple sublayers and power distributed so that all the power cannot be exclusively held by one individual or group of individuals. The entire idea is to check, unchecked power. No single person or group has ultimate priviledge. This is to prevent the establishment of dictators, tyrants and kings who are the historical criminals who abuse power.

But after all what can I do? I am just an arm chair critic who can do nothing but flow along with the system as if I am shouting with my hands behind my head, "do whatever you want to do, Just leave my life alone". The angry young man thing that is portrayed in the movies are all crap. The young men like me have to no stomach the truth, to dip in the system and clean the weeds. After all we are the future, this country eagerly awaits to explode and make something happen. But all I can hope is, show some prudence when we are in a position of power.

3 comments:

Prem Anand said...

The human mind is easily corruptible and POWER is simply irresistible for man. A man will do anything to get to power. Once he does, he mis-uses it or not-uses it. If he doesn't do either, he must be the hero in a DC/Marvel Comic.

sharika nair said...

Everyone starts work with an aim to be clean and change the world. Ultimately seeing the corrupt world they either change into corrupt ppl or like u said they jus worry about their own life.Very few actually make an effort to change themselves and influence others so that they go onto the right track...

Balkrishnanitt said...

And taking responsibility brings power .... ;)